The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you should have:
- A bachelor’s degree in business or marketing
- 15+ years of broad marketing experience, with 10+ years in team leadership roles
- Experience marketing/selling through multi-brand retailers and wholesale distributors
- Highly creative and inventive ideas in developing effective marketing, public relations and social media plans, strategies, tactics and execution for B2C
- A demonstrated track record of using communications and social media initiatives to drive business results
- Experience supervising a team, including hiring, training, coaching, development, etc.
- Strong skill in writing, editing, developing content and providing guidance for creating Marketing materials
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strong planning and project management skills with the ability to create and execute strong multi-year plans
- The ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple projects and priorities while continuously meeting tight deadlines
- Great interpersonal skills, with ability to develop relationships and communicate with all levels of management
- The ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small and large group situations to internal and external customers
- An MBA is a strong plus
- Experience working for an Asian headquartered company
- Experience in the automotive industry, automotive aftermarket, or enthusiasm for cars and trucks
- Ideal candidates will have some experience in B2B as well as B2C
The high level viewReporting to the President/CEO, you will serve as a strategic member of the company’s leadership team, which also includes the SVP of Sales, Sr Director of Product Planning and Technical Services, Director of Finance and Planning, and Sr Director of Pricing. You’ll be responsible for the strategy, tactics, people, programs and budgets to create interest, demand and recognition for the Toyo Tires brand and all product lines (passenger, light truck, and commercial truck) through the use of PR, Product Marketing, Creative Content Development, Advertising, Strategic Relationships/Sponsorships, Direct Marketing, Events, Dealer Support, Digital Marketing and E-Commerce.
The marketing department is made of about 15 people, and you’ll get to help decide how to structure things; the CEO is open to growing the marketing team to meet future needs. The expectation is that you’ll have about 5-6 direct reports once the structure is decided. This is a relatively flat organization, so you’ll be very hands-on with your team, as well as in executing strategy. You’ll be managing an 8-digit budget, but as the company grows we expect this to grow from where it is today.
Collaboration is keyOne big part of your role will be to act as the glue that brings the functions together in a way that makes sense in the marketplace. For example, you’ll work between the product planning and development team and the sales team to help figure out the best way to go to market, and you’ll also work hand-in-hand with the pricing director to be sure everything comes together. You’ll need to maintain balance to ensure sales has the support they need, while being completely in synch with the product planning and development groups for new and next generation product launches.
How the role breaks downThere are two major categories to your day-to-day work:
About half of your time will be spent working on planning and working through others to execute marketing communications, public relations, advertising, creative, sponsorships, events, tradeshows, etc. We are already pretty strong on this side, have great sponsor relationships, and a variety of people both inside and outside the company (including an external ad agency and web team, among other vendors) who help manage the marketing, but you’ll need to make strong strategic plans and keep things moving. Your biggest challenge on this side will be building mass-market appeal -- while we’re well known to enthusiasts, there are some consumers who still don’t know our brand. You’ll also be an advocate to help our parent company understand the marketing needs here, and for appropriate budgeting to meet those needs.
The other half of your time will be spent on the dealer engagement side. We go to market through independent dealers who carry other brands alongside ours, and therefore we have a lot of opportunity to become a bigger part of more of our dealers' product screens and their profitability. You will need to take time to develop a strategy for this side of the business. We already do nice point of sale materials, signage, creative product launches, and excellent training programs, but we need someone with great ideas for the next thing we can do to move us forward. We’re integrating product marketing managers who will own the products from launch into the marketplace, and you’ll find ways to leverage them to determine what’s important to our dealers and distributors, and what elements will make the products more successful at point of sale.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Video: This recent 30-second ad spot called "Your Car Deserves Better" was designed to challenge the conventional views of tires using crafty tongue-in-cheek humor to deliver the message about the quality of Toyo tires products.
Role SpecificsSome of your specific tasks will be to:
- Serve as a strategic member of the company’s leadership team, acting as the principal bridge between the sales, product planning/development and the brand’s go-to-market strategy
- Direct all marketing activities and marketing personnel for the division
- Brand Development – increase awareness and improve perception for the Toyo Tires brand
- Oversee advertising creation, media plans, POP & promotional item development
- Manage the motorsports activities of the company, to include motorsports dealers
- Supervise the category Product Marketing Managers
- Oversee all special events / motorsports / car club activities
- Evaluate all marketing sponsorships. Develop sponsorship and activation plans
- Negotiate all marketing contracts & sponsorships (athlete sponsorships, event sponsorships, hotel contracts, agency contracts, etc.)
- Work with SVP of sales to develop and support sales promotions
- Manage the portfolio of shows and trade events (SEMA, MATS, etc.)
- Direct all dealer support initiatives (training, POS materials, signage programs, etc.)
- Oversee all public relations initiatives and act as marketing spokesperson for the company
- Direct all product launch initiatives (ride & drives, training development, product videos, etc.)
- Direct all social media activities (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.)
- Oversee official company websites (consumer website, dealer portal, newsroom, product training site, apparel site)
- Oversee all licensing agreements. Manage Toyo licensed assets to other subsidiaries. Oversee outside licensing agreements with strategic partners
- Global Marketing – Assist other Toyo Tires subsidiaries with cohesive brand development for the Toyo Tires brand world-wide
- Participate in the creation of the strategies for the company’s mid-term plan, including future resource requirement projections to support long-term brand & marketing activities
- Plan and execute the marketing portion of the company’s annual plan
- Create and manage marketing budgets as part of the company’s annual planning
- Internal marketing. Assume responsibility for set up, flow, branding and “feel” of company-wide events and meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Video: Our marketing team has built many exciting partnerships and campaigns, and as the VP of Marketing you’ll be charged with continuing this success, like this time-tested sponsorship of the UFC.
Why Toyo Tires?High visibility impact
As a key member of our leadership team you’ll interact regularly with senior executives in our parent company, shaping our marketing strategy and processes moving forward. The marketing organization has been led by a senior director level position, so you’ll have a chance to make a real impact as the role is being elevated to Vice President in our U.S. organization.
Personal and professional development
Our leader is Roy Bromfield, the first American President and CEO of the U.S. business. This is a bit of a cultural shift as our Japanese parent company is taking valuable strides to position us to compete by ensuring that our leadership has a true understanding of our market. This also opens opportunities for our star performers -- as the company grows and evolves there will be more avenues for you to grow with it. Roy is committed to the development of each and every one of his team. He’s building a team full of people who have the caliber to run the business, and is ready and willing to help you learn and develop even further.
We enjoy a relatively flat organization, and have strong and collaborative leaders across the business. We’re working toward common goals and you’ll find the support and buy-in you need to be successful.
We’ve created an atmosphere that is open and interactive, with shared decision-making and a cooperative approach. There are no silos, so your influence will extend beyond marketing. This is a great place to work, with strong leadership and a collegial atmosphere. If you’re looking for a place where you really want to come to work every day, then this could be a great fit.
Quality products, strong growth
We are constantly improving the technology behind our products and we are leveraging our strong reputation to grow.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer a comprehensive slate of benefits.
Video: The next generation of the Gymkhana series, Climbkhana features Ken Block’s 1965 Ford Mustang Hoonicorn RTR V2 with a twin turbo, methanol power, 1,400 horsepower V8
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this position, you'll need to:
- Live our Purpose: "We make tires people love."
- Establish yourself as a leader who inspires the best in our employees by living our values: Trust, Learning, Tenacity, Empathy & Ownership.
About Toyo TiresAbout Toyo Tires
Toyo Tires has stood for innovation, quality, performance, and excellent service for over 70 years worldwide. Combined, the Toyo group of companies has development, manufacturing, testing, distribution, and marketing operations throughout the Americas, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Oceania.
The vision to manufacture great tires began in August 1945, when the founding president, Mr. Rikimatsu Tomihisa, established the Toyo Tire & Rubber Co, Ltd. in Japan.
In 1966, Toyo Tires became the first Japanese tire manufacturer to establish a subsidiary in the United States. From a small office in Southern California, Toyo Tire (U.S.A.) Corporation (as it was then known) began warehousing and distributing commercial truck tires. Passenger replacement tires were added to the company’s product offerings in 1975, and through a network of independent tire dealers, the Toyo Tires brand began to grow in the United States.
Today, the company’s U.S. headquarters are in Cypress, California, and distribution is supported by nearly one million square feet of warehousing in Southern California with additional warehouses in Georgia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
A Commitment to North America
In 2005, at a time when other manufacturers were looking for options outside of the United States, Toyo Tires opened a one million square foot state-of-the-art manufacturing and warehousing facility in White, Georgia, just 50 miles northeast of Atlanta. Most recently, the facility completed its Phase 4 plant expansion in 2016, which increased annual production capacity to 11.5 million tires, making it Toyo Tire group's largest tire manufacturing facility. This facility is home to the company’s latest technology: A.T.O.M., a highly automated and proprietary tire production system.
Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. is led by President and CEO Roy Bromfield. The Company sells through a network of retailers, wholesale distributors and commercial servicing dealers that reach all 50 states.
Our tire portfolio covers a broad range of applications—from the high-performance, racing-inspired Proxes line to the Open Country line for light trucks, CUVs and SUVs to the luxury-touring Versado Noir to our unique variable-conditions Celsius tires, to our broad range of commercial truck tires. No matter which car, light truck, CUV, SUV, or commercial vehicle you drive, Toyo Tires has the right tires for you.
Video: Established in 1966, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. represents the innovation, quality, performance, and excellent service that Toyo Tires has delivered worldwide for more than 70 years.